Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Fun day under the house

Some jobs just suck. There are no two ways about it. Today's job was right below the lowest of suck levels, whatever that is. I had to insulate under the porch. Some guy named Mo or Ron (get it?) built the whole porch very badly and didn't insulate it at all. Not that insulating is important in the Rockies at 7500 ft where it gets colder than bananas.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Mo and Ron had dug out under the floor LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO! So I had 3 inches above my face as I lay in the dirt and raccoon poop trying to staple insulation onto the underside of the floor. That was the highest the floor got as I lay on my back in the filth. At the other end I was actually having to turn my head so my nose wasn't in the floor joists. A great recipe for a great day - 3 parts claustrophobia, 2 parts animal dung, 2 parts smashing 2 different fingers, and 1 part being allergic to insulation. It was a wonderful day!

I must confess that I don't know how to glorify God on days like today. The best I get is not interacting with anyone so I avoid ripping their head off in all the fun. There is this little voice in my head that says "How would Jesus handle this job?" and I don't have a clue how to answer it. Funny that he was never a home owner. The answer that usually comes in my head is that he would be patient and kind and loving and enjoy every stinking batt of insulation. But I wonder where we get those kinds of pictures of Jesus' behavior.

If He was tempted in every way I am tempted, then He at least had the same thoughts I had. It means He struggled with cursing. He probably didn't enjoy it at all. In fact, I wonder which is more off base - my shaming myself for not being like the Jesus in my head, or my picture of how Jesus would have been under the house? He was human wasn't He? His being 'fully in' the same sucky experiences we have is the whole point isn't it? That He became man to redeem man.

So He did it perfect, whatever that means. And because He did, I don't have to. I am fully and completely in His will under the house, as poorly as I did it, because He loves me so profoundly. It isn't about me - it's about Him!

No comments: