Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Trails and Trials

We had a chance over the weekend to do some backpacking. Living in Colorado opens up more options for getting into the mountains than I could have previously even imagined. We started hiking around 9200 feet and hiked about 3 miles in and saw two incredible waterfalls. It was a hard hike. I had a newer pack that I wasn't used to. There were logs all over the trail since the forest service hadn't cleared the trail yet, and there were snow banks every 50 feet that I would sink into up to my thigh. Much of the trail was muddy, and it was cold at night. If that doesn't impress you, let me try the truth - I'm becoming a wimp.

I find that the trails always bring out something in me that I don't like. The trail exposes my unredeemed heart and the parts of me that are still very much flesh. The spirit of God hasn't finished his work in me - how's that sound? I begin to see what He already sees - the unlovely inside.

It isn't any surprise that the word 'trail' and the word 'trial' look and sound alike. The 'trials' in my life also reveal what the spirit of God hasn't conquered yet. The backpacking trail becomes a trial every time I hike. It becomes a subtle (sometimes not too subtle) reminder that I have a lot of growing to do.

But on a wholly deeper level, the fact that the trials and trails of life let me see my imperfections clearly isn't really that important part. The truth of the trail is that He sees my imperfections every day. I am surprised that I need so much work, but He isn't. Worse yet is the FACT that He sees and knows and isn't surprised, and chooses to love all that mess. As awful as the truth in my heart is as it is exposed by the trials and trails, more profound yet is His love and passionate desire just to hike with me. He doesn't care how I hike - how good at it or bad at it I might be. He only loves.

I think there are more of us on the trail that already know the unlovely parts of who we are and how we hike. But I wonder how many know that Papa only sees His kid, not the mess.

We are inviting men (nothing personal ladies) onto the trail (or trial) of an 8 day back country coaching experience in August. There are just a few spots left. If you want to meet a God who carries His own pack, who will get right in your face and love the bananas out of you, and who travels through the snow and downed trees and mud with you, think about joining us. You'll find out how bad of a hiker you really are, and you'll find out just how much He doesn't care. You might find out, heresy of all heresies, that Papa loves you - especially as a lousy hiker.

(For more information on the hike, check out the website. http://www.outsideedgecoaching.com/)

No comments: