Thursday, July 16, 2009

Being a dad

It has been way too long since I have written. As I reflect on the space between my last post and this one, I notice that this is the place where I share my heart. I also notice that "heart" is one of the gifts that makes me unique. So here are some thoughts from my heart.

My first grandson was born two days ago. His father and I have always had a special bond, so we have talked lots over the last few days leading up to Landon's birth. Keagan and I used to work together, and when times got tough, he would lean my way with his concerns.

But today is hard for two reasons. Today is my birthday, and I find myself torn between celebrating another year, and my grandson being in the hospital. Landon is getting oxygen and in special care because he is having trouble breathing. His dad called early this morning scared and in pain. It hurt me so much to watch him have to face the terror of the tentativeness of life. It is a powerlessness that comes with fatherhood, one that we all have to face sooner or later in our journey. It is also one you wish you could spare your kids from. I noticed my own fear for Landon, and my inability to really offer solid hope for my son, the new father. It was one of those times I won't forget quickly.

One of the things that struck me particularly hard was that having a son of your own really brings home the love our Papa must have had for us in giving His only son. What a crazy, vulnerable, selfless, terrifying act of love toward a people who can't see past their own pain and self focusedness to receive the gift.

So what am I saying? I'm not sure if I even know. I guess I want to communicate something about the profound love of God and the tentative path that life takes sometimes, and that though we have no guarantees that things will go good, we have the guarantee that we will never be alone when it happens. If our goal is to have a Papa with us, we can count on it. If our goal is to have the rough spots go away, we are going to be left feeling pretty alone.

I am scared for Landon and his dad and his dad's dad. All of them could use your prayers today.

2 comments:

Grandpachapman said...

Mike I hope that by now you have more information and things have worked out great for your grandson as well as your son's family!

I can share a little understanding of your thoughts in that we showed up at the hospital for the birth of our first granddaughter to be greeted at the door by our son-in-law to tell us that Lucy had not survived the birth.

My prayers will be lifted for all.

Mike Ege said...

Wow, I am humbled by your words. It has been 10 days, and Landon went home with mom and dad 2 days ago. I am heading off next week to meet him for the first time.