Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Knowing scripture

I hear a lot of evangelical Christians talking about how we need to base everything on scripture. I remember holding that same value when I was a fundy too. Now that whole picture seems pretty confusing.

I find myself wanting to ask silly questions - "Which particular set of scriptures are we referring to? The KJV or the NIV or the NAS or the BS version of the Bible??" Or which interpretation of the "scriptures" are we holding to? Are we Armenian or Calvin? Are we reformation or Anabaptist? Because the real truth is that you can talk to 10 different theologians and get 12 different interpretations from 18 different schools of thought about a single verse from the Bible.

So which beliefs are we drawing from what interpretation of what scriptures?

And what ever happened to the presentness of God? Why do we rely so heavily on how God represented Himself 2000 years ago, yet ignore that He is still hanging around right now, equally as knowable?

I guess "knowing scriptures" is a hell of a lot easier than knowing God.

No comments: