Thursday, November 5, 2009

Climbing low mountains

Another blog post way over due (thanks Carol for the reminder).

I was talking with a guy the other day whose philosophy of life is best summed up by the theme statement "climb low mountains". It reflected in his life very congruently. If he never tried to climb a mountain that was very high, he could never fail. And I found myself admiring the integrity. He really is a guy who won't try for the high mountains.

But I found the call in my heart as obviously on the other end of the spectrum. I realized that my pattern of life is probably best summed up in the philosophy "climb impossible mountains", which translates to disappointment and discouragement much of the time. I wonder if I might do better trying to summit little peaks rather than the huge ones. But when I think about it, its just not me. The very essence of who I am is a combination of dreamer and enough "ridiculous" inside (I have plenty of that) to actually try to live out the dreams.

And after 30 years of that, sometimes I wonder if I should give up. How many lower peaks could I have been successful on? Or would they have even felt like success if I had settled for the accomplishments of smaller mountains? All I know is that I am called to live what is true inside of me, and that truth inside has never spent much time on low mountains.

So I guess my new philosophy is one that sounds something like this - "Blunder on, and trust that by doing so, God is glorified because He made me a blunderer."

I deeply pray that He is reflected somewhere on the trek to the highest mountains.

1 comment:

treklightly said...

The cool thing about going for the impossible summits is that you have to summit the low mountaintops to get there. Who knows how many more "low mountaintops" you have crossed to get to your impossible summits then he has when that is his only goal?! As a hiker yourself, you know that many times you have to cross many low mountains to get to the ultimate summit and view!

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

God Bless!