Friday, June 6, 2008

Finding Arrowheads

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to find an arrowhead. I remember my dad coming home with a spear head he had found in the midwest field he had been disking. It was made of flint, and I couldn't quit staring at it. It was a real Indian artifact! A real Indian had made it a hundred and fifty years earlier. It was a piece of history. I was really into the western days, and particularly the Indians. I read about them, studied everything I could find, visited Indian museums, tried doing the things I read about them doing. It was so cool. And suddenly there was a real spear head in front of me.

I'm a little older now, and Indians are called Native Americans now, and all these years I have wanting to find an arrowhead of my own. Dad would never let me 'have' the spearhead, so I wanted to be like dad and find one laying somewhere. I have looked for years. I have prayed many times that God would let me find one. It has been one of those things that I have been looking for as long as I could remember. My eye has always been trained on that angular piece of rock that I could unearth and declare mine.

I told you about our growing dome a few blogs back. It is a hexagon greenhouse, with soil in big planters. We had a heck of a time getting anything to grow in the soil that was in there when we moved in, so I dug some up from elsewhere on the property and mixed the new soil in with the old. We finally got something to grow, and I forgot about it.

Yesterday I was watering the pepper plants. I don't know why I noticed it, but I saw an Obsidian rock on the outer edge of the planter. I didn't remember ever seeing it there before, so I picked it out to throw away. And suddenly I looked at it. Yep, you guessed it. It was a 2 inch arrowhead. My arrowhead. My first arrowhead ever. I found one!

Sometimes Papa does things that we could never understand. When I wasn't looking, I found. All the prayer gymnastics didn't do any good all those times I tried to manipulate God into giving me an arrowhead. He did it yesterday just because He loves me. I wasn't even looking. I think He did it that way on purpose - so I couldn't think I did anything to deserve it.

Kinda like His love and grace huh? Totally there, unattached to any performance or manipulation on our part. Just because He loves. Just because He IS love.

No comments: