Thursday, June 5, 2008

Getting High

I was putting down vinyl flooring in the bathroom today, getting ready for our first guest to visit the Ege Ranch (that's a joke). Seriously, it was our hope and vision that Papa would bring people to our house. People who just needed a place to get away - to relax or be ministered to or whatever the need. It was one of those "If you build it, they will come" type of things. We had hoped for a huge place with a whole other wing for people to stay in, but we ended up with a spare bedroom. Hence, the need for a bathroom, Hence the vinyl flooring. Hence this blog.

So I am putting down the vinyl with this new kind of adhesive that said "Only use in well ventilated area". Yeah, right. Like I have ever heeded that warning. So I am putting the stuff down, and getting happier and happier as I do, and my head starts spinning and I start feeling really funny. That's why I used the word "Hence" three times in the first paragraph. Being high makes the word actually sound cool. (For those of you who have never done drugs, just ignore this blog today.)

It didn't help that I am rushing for our guest, who is arriving tomorrow. I actually had all the plumbing done in the walls and had them closed up and then realized I couldn't open the door to the shower because the toilet was in the way. So I had to tear it all apart and move the shower plumbing and then move the toilet. So I am working my tail off, repairing sub floor, insulating, putting in vinyl (yippee!), and drywalling. I still have to paint and install the shower and trim everything and put on the towel rods before she comes. (I might need some more of that adhesive to get it all done in time).

And when she arrives, she will have no clue what I have been doing behind the scenes. When she walks into the bathroom, it will look like a bathroom. Nothing special. All the work will be unnoticed. That's the point. She won't notice the mess it was 12 hours before.

I wonder sometimes how we get so short sighted when we think Papa isn't working. I don't think we have a clue about all the work that goes on behind the scenes. If we had even an inkling of an idea of what He has done that will never be noticed, we would need to huff some adhesive to comprehend it all.

So don't just walk into the bathroom of your life and think everything has always been that way. Take notice what's behind the walls. Look at all He has done, and is doing, and try to notice that He is alive, working on your behalf, and deeply in love with you.

No comments: