Thursday, June 26, 2008

Smokin In The Boy's Room

There used to the coolest song when I was young called "Smokin in The Boy's Room" that had a line that went something like this:

"Ever seem to have one of those days when it seems like everybody is getting on your case all the way from the teacher down to your best girlfriend? Well I used to have those days just about all the time. Well I found a way to get out of it. Let me tell you about it...."

The answer to his dilemma was sneaking out of class and having a smoke in the restroom at school. Somehow even back then I knew that wasn't going to solve any of my problems. The TV told me that "White teeth and fresh breathe would get Jenny back again", but Close Up tooth paste didn't solve much either. Come to think of it, there were lots of promises made when I was younger that didn't come true. It seems promises rarely do.

Somehow I got the message that everything would go my way if I just did the right things. Imagine my disappointment when I became a follower of Jesus and He didn't make my struggles go away either (though I think my teeth might be a little whiter as a Christian). Being the rocket scientist that I am, it only took me 20+ years of walking the road with Jesus to finally figure out He didn't exist to solve my problems. And contrary to popular belief and teaching, it isn't His job to solve my problems. What's more, He NEVER said He would. What He promises is to never leave me or forsake me.

It is interesting in our hedonistic, "please me NOW!" culture, that we try to paint Jesus into our picture as someone who will do whatever we want. And somewhere under our false belief system we get angry with Him for not solving our problems. In fact, there is a disappointment under our faith that says something like "You mean all I get is His presence? No new cars, white teeth, fresh breath, no new house, not even a Harley - nothing?" And we inwardly are disappointed with God. We think He deceived us and did the old bait and switch, promising many things, delivering only a couple.

God didn't change. He is still love. He can't be anything else. It is who and what and how He is. If you have been sold a belief system that says more than that, think about challenging it. Because smokin in the boy's room, brushing your teeth more, doing all the right Christian behaviors, praying more, believing more, or any other events in the "stupid Olympics" won't change the fact that God loves you, walks with you, and will never leave you. Try getting to know Him, since His being with you always is a promise you can count on.

No comments: