Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Eagle in the mud

I was driving the other day and as I looked in the valley to my left, there was a bald eagle not more than 75 feet from me, eating on a dead animal. I had to look twice to see if it was really a bald eagle, and as I craned my neck to see if it was, I could see him all covered in mud. Somehow it struck me as odd. And a hair ironic.

It reminded me of our country. The US, the mighty eagle, wallowing in the mud. That really is ironic. We have thought ourselves the nation blessed by God, although we don't do much to honor him or bless him as a nation. We started out with freedom of religion being one of the main tenants of why we separated from Britain, but somewhere in the last couple hundred years we decided that God was; #1 - an option, and #2 - disposable. But we still want him to bless us. We don't want to be a nation under God, but we want his blessing.

Now we are reaping some of what we have sowed, and the mighty Bald Eagle is eating dead carcasses and wallowing in the mud of its own choices to be without Him. We have no one to blame for our stupidity but ourselves. So when do you think it will dawn on us to stop pointing fingers and start picking up a shovel and filling in the hole we have dug? Probably not till we have wallowed in the mud a while longer.

No comments: