Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cutting trees with a divided heart

My friend Trevor came and visited from California last weekend with his wonderful family. We had a blast doing all kinds of things. But one of the things that we didn't get to do was cut down a tree. Trev wanted to get the old chain saw out and watch a 100 foot tree topple over, but when we stopped at the ranger station for a tree cutting permit, it was closed.

Normally, and on every other day of the life I have lived, I would have blown off the whole permit thing and just cut down the tree. I have a problem with authorities charging me for the privilege I believe God gave us, but none the less, an $8 fee is required. I was torn with whether to buck the system and go covert and illegally cut some firewood, or be above board and be a good Christian. I ended up deciding neither.

I have never been one to obey certain ridiculous laws like wood cutting tags. But over the years I have discovered that doing something like cutting without a permit leaves my heart divided. I can go ahead and lop down a ponderosa pine, but I do it with at least a little part of me looking over my shoulder to make sure nobody is going to catch me. And I hate that feeling. It divides my heart. It keeps me from fully enjoying the simple fun of watching a tree go over. And bottom line, I am sick of living with a divided heart.

So we didn't cut down a tree. Instead, we played in the shop and went hiking and drank some beer and had a blast enjoying. And we did it all with a single heart that I really believe brings glory to God. Not because cutting down a tree would have been bad, but because I wouldn't have been able to do it single hearted and to the glory of God. You see, my fully enjoying it would have been glorifying God.

And that I want to do more than anything else in life.

No comments: