Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hangin with the neighbor

I have this neighbor. He really is a remarkable guy. He will do anything to help us out. If we need something, he'll lend it, pick it up at the store, tell you where to get it cheap, or make one for you. He's just that kind of neighbor. And his wife is even worse. She tells me today they need a favor - she is making sweet potato/pecan pie and she's afraid there will be to much for the two of them to eat alone, so she says we could help her by eating it with them. I know - tough job, but someone has to do it. It will be quite the act of service, but we'll manage. Maybe they have some ice cream they are having trouble with too......

I don't know exactly what it means to love your neighbor. I know as Christians we are supposed to do it. And truth be told, Les and Nancy are better at it than any Christian who ever lived. And they aren't Christians. What does that say about the rest of us? Do we really have an excuse? All I know is that when I am around them I am humbled by their selfless acts of love. More than their acts is their attitudes. They are never inconvenienced to help out. They never say no when you need a hand. They would literally give you the shirt off their back. I know that phrase is way over used, but these folks really would do it.

Maybe its time for us followers of Jesus to live like we are following. Maybe we need to be the neighbors loving better than other folks - not because we are Christians, and that is what Christians are supposed to do, but because we are God's kids in love with His creation.

No comments: