Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Writing Life

I realized today that I tend to write better when I am blogging - when you put a blank piece of paper in front of me, I don't know what to say. It's like I know that writing on my blog might actually get read by someone. It makes me put on my best (I know, it's hard to believe this is my best). I find myself writing BECAUSE someone is reading.

I guess thinking that someone might read this (thank you to the two people who do regularly) makes me think harder. It holds me accountable to actually making some sense. I notice that there is something at stake when I write and think there might be somebody reading. Somehow the writing matters more if there is an audience.

There is such an obvious translation to real life here. Imagine if we lived our lives like I write - adjusting what you say and how you say it just a little, kinda out of respect for the person who might be reading - because they matter to you.

So here is the closest to profound I am going to get in this blog. I actually made it up myself, so please be at least a little impressed;

"Write your life as if someone was reading it"

Maybe this whole thing is a game in my head and I am the only one that reads my blogs. Even if that is so, I know God reads. I know that He reads and watches and loves what I do. He doesn't really care about the misspellings in my life, or the dangling sentences. He doesn't care when I begin a sentence with a forbidden 'and' or 'but'. He just delights in my being His kid. Its like the thousands of pictures of trucks and airplanes that the boys draw for Laura and me. There is always a new one on the fridge - and it doesn't really matter if it is any good or not. They are our kids. That's all that matters.

So write the story of your life as if the whole world would see, and when they see, may it be Jesus that shines through your life.

4 comments:

Salsa Maker said...

I'm reading Mike.
I have a thought tho that if I write, or live, like someone is watching, and that keeps me censoring my life to the point that it's ingenuine, then I've missed my opportunity to really live free in the person that Christ made me to be.
I get your point, "live with purpose", but I just thought of this other side of the coin.

Salsa Maker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol said...

Hey Mikey, I read your blogs all of the time and I love them! Guess I'm #2 of the 2 that read them! =) Of all the blogs you've written, "Trust" is still my favorite - touches deep in my heart. I want to grab on tight to that invisible hand. I like the idea of "writing life as if someone is reading"...would help keep me from being lazy and indifferent to being more kind and caring with people. Keep those blogs coming - I'll keep reading!

Wendy Hill said...

Just found your blog tonight. Wishing I had more time to read. Wishing my own blog were as high in quality with each post (some days I just come on and check in or post meaningless babble). So great to connect with you again. Sounds like things are well with you. We have missed you.