Friday, June 12, 2009

An annointed moment

Today I was going through some old trunks where I store stuff from past lives. I have three of them. As I opened each, the smells of times gone by came wafting up from the past. It was like the years themselves came up to meet my senses, reminding me of all the time that has sifted through my fingers. I found myself wanting to cry. Not because I had wasted those years as much as I knew I hadn't fully lived some of them. I existed, just trying to get by, waiting for the future, killing time. Now I live the future as it again sifts all too quickly through my hands.

I eventually found what I was looking for. I realized as I closed the last one that the three trunks represent different lifetimes that I have lived - one from childhood, one from early adulthood, and one from life as a full fledged adult. What I had been looking for was anointing oil. I know that sounds weird, especially if you know me. The oil has always represented the presence and spirit of God to me. When I worked as a pastor, I would use the scented oil to touch on someones forehead, setting them apart for the work God had for them. The lingering scent of the oil reminded the anointed and the anointer of His eternal presence.

This weekend I will use that oil again. May the spirit of God pour His presence on all that I do, even if it is despite me.

No comments: