Sunday, June 7, 2009

Making splashes

I just sent my second book off for its first printing. It is funny to see how much I enjoy the process of writing - there is a deep sense of accomplishment having finished it. I never thought I would write just for fun. I guess it meets a deeper need to make a splash in the pond of life. I feel like a book does that. It leaves something behind with my name on it - literally.

So what kind of legacy will we live and leave? For some of us, that ripple in the pond will be the families we leave behind or the jobs we worked. For some it will be a thing they put their hand to and that they created or changed.

What kind of splash do you want to make? I really believe we have a choice about it - if we intentionally splash or not. Some of us will splash big, and some not so big. But I am reminded that the people who have made an impact on my life are mostly people that came and went - they might not even know the impact they had. There have been ripples on the surface of my pond long after they have come and gone. A few remain, and those I treasure deeply.

If I were to hand out some free coaching, I would simply say two words; Splash big!

No comments: