Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pain and change

We were talking about Job today in our men's bible study, and the issue of pain and suffering came up. It struck me that we all have our fair share of it. Few are the people who haven't suffered.

But what hit me was the ways I personally try to avoid the pain in my life. I realized that I pretty successful most of the time in keeping my anxiety at bay. And in doing so, I feel more comfortable, but I miss the growing that God wants to do in me. Because it is pain that changes us. And when I avoid pain, I avoid change. How is He to grow His image in me if I am unwilling to embrace the very vehicle for transformation He allows to come my way?

I know I am not alone in this avoidance. It is a universal issue. I guess that is why we are so damned set on being comfortable all the time. That is why we surround ourselves with a hedge of safety and comfort that serves its purpose well. Maybe too well - it also keeps us insulated from the pain that can ultimately make us different people.

Unless people are willing to be transformed, we will never really live as the body of Christ.

No comments: