Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Compromise

Compromise is one of those words that has a double meaning for me. There are times when finding a middle ground or a way to have two things be true at the same time is a valuable asset. It can be a real gift. There are times when it is most God honoring to be willing to make adjustments to what we want or hope for, settling for less than ideal.

The other side of compromise is not compromising - when giving in and settling for less than isn't a good thing. Those are the times when we need to stand our ground and hold fast to what we are called to. It is staying the course without listening to the waves around us.

Most of my life has been lived in the no compromise position. I have always been the one to stay firm, or at least call others to stay firm. I have always wanted to be the guy who hangs onto the stars despite the lack of grounding under my feet. Yet I find myself having to go against that grain and instead of reaching for the stars, settle for some rocks. I guess maybe it is the next step in the journey of following Papa. I told Him I was willing to go where ever He led. Boy, was that a dumb idea.

I cling to His goodness, despite the direction the road is taking. After all, He is God of heaven and earth.

No comments: