Friday, January 30, 2009

Learning to glorify God

I was painting today to make some extra cash. As I tried my best to do a job that would glorify my boss (not the guy paying me), the thought went through my head 'How would we do the things we do differently if Jesus had the paint roller next to us?' For one of the first times in my life, I realized I wouldn't be doing much different.

After years of short cutting, half assing, and giving my self excuses to do it less than perfect, I am finally at a place where I actually work hard to do whatever I am doing well. And it only took 4 decades! Of course it helps to be working for a guy who tends to be perfectionistic (yes, the guy paying me), and if I am really honest, I need the work badly, so doing a good job pays off. I close the door of the bathroom I am working on, and paint to the glory of God. Or at least try to.

What's my point? I guess that sometimes you do what you don't want to do because it is all you have to do. I am thankful for the job. I wonder sometimes why a guy with a Master's degree is painting bathrooms, but that road leads to some disgruntledness, and I don't want to go there. So the new work that God is doing in me is helping me to learn how to do what I have to do not only in the level of my performance, but in the level of my character.

If I could get that part of me to glorify Him, it really would be an act of God.

No comments: