Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stranded on the trail

I have been thinking lately about what it means to be and have a friend. I know hundreds of people, maybe thousands. In the last 6 months I have been doing the Facebook thing, and as I reflect on those interactions, I am struck that the same thing happens on Facebook as happens in life. People go through the motions of connecting, but not much really happens.

When I sit right down and think about it, a person can really only have a couple real friends. It is so much more common to have a bunch of acquaintances that you never really get anywhere with. How many people can we really be close to? It's like there isn't that much room on the trail of life to walk side by side with that many people. 2 or 3 maybe. That's about it.

And what makes up the traveling together that makes the investment worth it? Sharing the journey I suppose; having someone to talk about the trail with, someone to help you when there is a snag you can't get past, a brother or sister that can encourage you on your way. I can't even imagine doing the trail without a couple people to walk with. I find that I really need them. We really can't do this alone, even if we want to.

My truck broke down today - I know, hard to believe. It is only 19 years old with 200,000 miles. I was panicking because I had to get the kids to school, the truck wouldn't start, and it's big carcass was blocking in the car that has 225,000 miles on it. It finally started, but I knew I needed to take it into the shop. I called my next door neighbor, and he gladly picked me up at the shop and took me home.

Being truckless was pretty terrifying. For those of you who don't live in Colorado, you just plain can't make it out here without a four wheel drive, even if you wanted to try. Not only is the car useless, it is buried under 3 feet of snow.

Today, a neighbor who cared to walk the path with me was worth his weight in gold.

I wonder what kind of friends we are to each other. Are we walking the path with others on a regular basis? Is there a couple people you can count on when the snow gets high and the truck doesn't run?

I am thankful today to not be stranded on the trail of life.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Mike. Wow, this post truly struck some major strings in my heart. I think about this thing called friendship all the time. I have been going through some loss of friends in the last year and looking back at the loss has really took a tow on my heart. I once heard Jonathan say that in order to have a real friend you have to go through some rough things in order to see if the friendship will make it through. I went through some tough stuff with a friend in November, and let's just say, we didn't make it through. Relationships are tough and take a lot of work to make them last. I am learning this. I am saddened that I lost a good good friend of 20 years, but, perhaps, that friendship was only meant for the time it did last. I am re-thinking a lot when it comes to friendships, for they are so complex and can become messy. A friend to me is someone who will stick by my side no matter what happens in life, and will not disown me regardless. My closest friend is my husband. I think no one besides Father can come any closer than my mate. He has been through it all with me and has not given up on me!!!

Wow, I said a lot! Sorry! Great thoughts tho and this has ministered to my heart!

In Freedom, Nicole!

Wendy Hill said...

I'm thankful, too, that you weren't stranded on the trail of life.