Sunday, December 14, 2008

God in a blue box

I am worked up today because I went to a church building to be with other believers. It got me thinking about a very simple question; "What if God were really love?" Not love as we interpret it, not love as defined in some religious system that has all the pieces fit together, and not love seen through a lens of punishment for sin. Just love. What if God were nothing but, nothing else, nothing held back, and nothing mixed with caveats, but He were just love? What if we just believed that one descriptor of God - as love. Damn the theology and the religious systems that try to make sense of the mystery. What if we just accepted that God is love? And what if that was all we believed?

Every denomination has its system of theology that packs 'relationship with God' into its own little box that makes what they believe neat and tidy and understandable. And every system has its own little slant. One box is blue, another aqua, another sky blue, another sea blue, another midnight blue, and another ocean blue (because it is soooo different than sea blue!) And every denomination thinks it has the right system, the end all to rightness. When will we wake up and admit our own stupidity?

I choose to believe God is love. I don't pretend to understand that. I believe that He is knowable and unknowable, all at the same time. But in my understanding, I choose to try at least to keep God as boxless as possible. So I guess that makes me just like everybody else - thinking I have the right belief system.

God forgive me!

No comments: