Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Needing each other

I was up on the roof today shoveling some of the 3 feet of snow off, or at least trying to. There was quite a bit of ice built up on the lower edge of the house, so I decided to try to kick it off. Dumb idea. As I kicked, it dislodged and I almost went off the roof. To save myself from a messy fall, I landed on my shoulder on the steel roof, barely keeping myself from going over. I managed to stay on the roof, but in doing so I also separated my shoulder. Of course, being the macho man that I am, I continued shoveling until I was in tears from pain, then I gingerly crawled down the ladder and took 76 ibuprofen.

I am finding that I can't do everything myself with a bum shoulder. As long as my tasks don't require reaching above my head I am pretty much fine. But other than the low zone, I am truly handicapped. It is humbling for a macho man to have to admit he needs others.

My bro John and I were talking about life as we met this morning. One of the things that happens in my relationship with John is that we help each other see our weak spots. I point out the things he doesn't see and he points out mine. It is one of those relationships that I deeply treasure - probably more than I let on sometimes. I hate to admit that I need someone else. But John tenderly shows me the blinds spots in my vision and reminds me that I am not so self sufficient. He really is a gift.

We really do need each other. I think that's why we are called to be in the body of Christ. Not only are we called to be in it, but we ARE the body of Christ. It is the needing each other that connects us. It is built into our design to need - first to need our Papa, and then His kids. Because alone, we really will fall off the edge.

I am deeply thankful that I can't do life alone, even when I want to.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Sorry about the bum shoulder. Too bad you had to hurt it working, instead of like the last time when you were skiing and havin fun!