Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tumbleweeds

We were driving across the plains of Nebraska last week. Let me say that it just doesn't get any better than Nebraska. No mountains, not many trees, not much to write home about, and a great state to not live in. Sorry if that offends the folks who read my blog who happen to be stuck in Nebraska. You have that great arch across I-80 in Kearny, what more could you ask for?

But there is one thing that Nebraska has that is cool - maybe only one. That is tumbleweeds. When we came through the other day, the wind was cruising along at like 40 mile an hour, and the tumbleweeds were out for a hay day. There were times when there must have been 50 or more immediately in front of us. At first I tried dodging them, which the kids thought was great as the car swerved left and right at 80 mph. But there were so many of them, all in a hurry to get somewhere else that I finally relaxed and just ran them over, which, when coupled with crash sound effects from the driver's seat gave the boys even more to laugh about.

I admit I was tired and bored driving across Nebraska, but as I stared at tumbleweeds rushing across my path I thought of contemporary Christianity. The tumbleweeds obviously thought that there was someplace else that might be better for them to go, so they rushed across the 4 lanes of traffic to get there. It reminded me of the machinery of Christianity that has often become a contest between churches to attract the most people. It was quite a few years ago when it became popular to have coffee bars and free childcare (for a donation of course) so people could come fellowship together. I have heard now that some churches have work out equipment, movie screening rooms, 24 hour hot lines if a believer needs to call in and hear inspirational music, and popular ring tones that you can download so when someone calls you, the music could be a witness - maybe someone will repent because they heard Casting Crowns on your phone.

And like tumbleweeds, Christians seeking the latest and the bestest go running to the box in town with the best show.

I don't want to get into a bunch of judgment about the state of Christianity. All I want to ask is the simple question - "Is this what Jesus had in mind when He died?"

No comments: