Monday, December 8, 2008

Slogging in the mud

I got the privilege of working outside today in the snow and the mud and the wet and the cold. It reminded me why I hate construction work. I suppose the Apostle Paul felt the same way about tent making - not his love, but what he had to do sometimes. Building a deck today was what I had to do.

There is a test of our personhood when we have to do what we don't want to do that tells what kind of person you are. It is a test of character and integrity. I realized today that slopping around in the mud and snow, soaking wet and cold is a good job for everyone to have to do now and then. It is just plain humbling.

I wonder if we would have a whole bunch less corporate bail outs if the boneheads on the top of those organizations could get out and do some manual labor in the mud and snow. It would teach them just how big they really are.

So this evening I am feeling pretty humbled by my day. I guess it is good to be reminded that I am not so very important in the world. Or at least not as important as I think I am sometimes.

1 comment:

Carol said...

You know, all of that slogging is great conditioning for backpacking!