Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Know the snow

We woke up to a couple feet of snow this morning. And then we woke up three more times when we tried to sleep in because the phone kept ringing with people cancelling appointments. I don't know if I have ever seen this much snow at one time. I think it is pretty normal for Colorado, but this is our first winter here, so it is all new to us. I have the task of digging us out sometime today, and I have to admit that I am excited about it.

There is something magical about the snow. One of the things it does is take away options. There isn't school today for the kids, and no way to meet with the people I had appointments with today. Thankfully we still have power and water, and the wood burner is cranked up. But I am captive today at home, and loving it. The fire and a safe place to snuggle up with a book brings a deep sense of security.

Papa is someone to be celebrated on days like this. He is captive with me (not really) - He is here. He is celebrating the snow with me, enjoying the security of a fire and a safe place to be. Today I want to know Him more deeply.

I know this is really corny, but when there is this much snow, it reminds me that I want to know Him. Like a thick blanket of snow, I want to be covered in His presence and security.

No comments: