Thursday, December 4, 2008

Living famous

We watched a movie last night about a guy who became famous (I had never heard of him). As Laura and I watched the path of his life, I found myself wondering why he didn't excel even more. Then it dawned on me that he didn't know he was going to be famous. It just happened that he impacted people in powerful ways.

One of my hero's is Abraham Lincoln. But as I thought about it, old Abe didn't split rails for a living each day thinking "I am going to be famous, so I had better make every decision toward that end." When he was a lawyer, he was a lawyer, not a president to be. He didn't know he was going to be famous.

I wonder how differently we would live our lives if we knew we were going to be famous. I think there were a lot of things I would do different. There are several really, REALLY stupid things I think I would have elected to not do. When I look back, I realize I would have lived differently.

So what keeps us from living as if we are going to be famous? Who knows but that someday someone is going to be reading Mike Ege's blog and think to themselves "He wasn't even famous yet when he wrote this".

Live like you are going to be famous - everyday.

No comments: